A cop stopped a car for speeding - then pointed a gun at an uncooperative black passenger for more than 9 minutes
Obama Born In Kenya
2017-09-04 04:28:16 UTC
A video taken during a traffic stop in California is drawing
debate over the officer’s decision to keep his gun pointed at
the passenger for more than nine minutes.

The stop took place last Wednesday morning along U.S. Route 101,
south of San Jose, after an officer noticed a car pass him going
85 mph, according to the Campbell Police Department.

After stopping the car for speeding, the officer requested the
driver’s license and additional paperwork. The driver and
passenger spent several minutes looking for the paperwork before
the officer walked back to his motorcycle to write a citation,
police said.

It was at that point their stories diverged. According to
police, the passenger began reaching “under his seat.”

“It is not clear why the passenger chose to reach under the seat
since the officer was not requesting any other paperwork,”
Campbell police said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the
passenger’s unexpected movement towards the bottom of the seat,
caused the officer to perceive a threat and draw his handgun.”

However, a man sitting in the vehicle’s passenger seat — the
target of the officer’s gun — maintained throughout the incident
that he had simply been reaching for some papers on the floor to
try to find the vehicle’s license and registration, as requested.

A video that apparently was recorded by a woman in the car
begins as the male passenger is expressing incredulity that the
officer has pulled a gun.

“Wow,” the passenger says in the video, laughing. “We’re looking
for the f—ing paperwork, bro. Oh my God.”

“I understand that,” the officer replies. “Don’t move, all
right?”

The passenger sounds indignant as his hands remain on his lap.
“Why are you still pointing that gun at me, bro?” he asks the
officer. “Why are you still pointing the gun at me, though?
Record this sh-t. Why are you still pointing the gun at me, bro?
My hands are right here.”

“I understand,” the officer says.

“No, you don’t understand,” the passenger protests, as the
officer tells him to relax. “No, I’m not going to relax. Get the
f—king gun off me.”

A woman in the car asks the officer: “Is that really necessary?
His hands are both out.”

The officer says that it is necessary as he waits for backup to
arrive, eliciting another round of protests from the vehicle’s
passengers. For several more minutes, they remain at an impasse,
with the passenger muttering periodic complaints as music plays
in the background. The entire time, the officer’s gun is trained
on the man.

Toward the end, the officer relays something through the radio
and the passenger begins protesting again. At one point in the
video, the officer mentions that there had been a screwdriver on
the floor of the car.

“Why are you trying to make this bigger than it is, bro?” the
passenger says. “We complied with everything you asked for.”

[A threatened officer had an instant to shoot — or not. Police
want you to watch him decide.]

The video lasts a little more than nine minutes total, and the
officer’s gun is pointed at the male passenger the entire time.
Police said in a statement the officer had to wait longer than
usual for backup to arrive “and provide assistance in safely
resolving the situation.”

“We understand that it is never a comfortable position to have a
gun pointed at you, regardless of whether it is a police
officer,” police said. “Unfortunately, the length of time that
the officer’s gun was drawn lasted much longer than normal based
on his location.”

Police said the traffic stop was resolved amicably.

“In the end, the officer had a conversation with the passenger
of the vehicle explaining his actions and why the gun was
pointed at him,” police said. “The passenger indicated he
understood why it happened and actually apologized to the
officer. Both the driver and the passenger were issued citations
and were allowed to leave.”

However, the video was uploaded to Facebook last Saturday with a
caption that suggested there may not have been as much
understanding as police thought. (Note: The video contains
profanity.)

“CAMPBELL COP IS A B—-!!!!!!!!!!” wrote a Facebook user named
“Feo Mas” who identified himself as the passenger in the video.
“(He) pulled out a gun cuz I reached for paperwork he asked for.”

A week later, the video had amassed nearly 2 million views on
Facebook, as well as tens of thousands more on YouTube. Online,
a debate raged: Several people defended the police officer and
said they felt the passenger should have remained quiet, while
others were outraged at how long the officer had trained his gun
on the passenger despite the man’s hands being visible at all
times.

Police departments are under increased scrutiny for violent,
often fatal interactions with suspects. So far this year, 594
people have been shot and killed by police, according to The
Washington Post’s Fatal Force database. Last year, police shot
and killed 963 people.

[FIRED/REHIRED: Police chiefs are often forced to put officers
fired for misconduct back on the streets]

In a message Sunday night, the Facebook user who posted the
video continued to dispute several aspects of the police account.

The Campbell Police Department said in a statement it was aware
of the video circulating online, as well as the thousands of
comments surrounding it. Police also cited an officer-involved
shooting that had taken place in nearby Los Banos, Calif., as an
example of the “unfortunate reality” that people sometimes
attack police.

“As an agency, we can understand the response to the Facebook
video, and that is why we have and will continue engaging our
community,” police said. “The comments on the Facebook video
bring up a lot of different viewpoints about how the officer
could have responded differently or used different tactics. Our
officers receive a tremendous amount of training on a consistent
basis and that training is what dictates our response. This is
intended to protect our officers as well as those they come in
contact with.”

Police said they had reviewed footage from the officer’s body
cam, which included the beginning and end of the incident not
shown in the Facebook video. The department did not release any
footage from the officer’s camera. A Campbell police spokesman
said Monday the department was still reviewing legal
considerations around releasing the body-cam footage.

“We are thankful that this incident resolved itself with no one
getting injured and hope that this additional information
provides clarification,” police said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/06/a-
cop-stopped-a-car-for-speeding-then-pointed-a-gun-at-a-passenger-
for-more-than-9-minutes/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.ab7b85a62874
Anonymous Remailer (austria)
2017-09-04 05:57:46 UTC
DCI
2017-09-04 17:33:11 UTC
Post by Obama Born In Kenya
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/06/a-
cop-stopped-a-car-for-speeding-then-pointed-a-gun-at-a-passenger-
for-more-than-9-minutes/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.ab7b85a62874
This is yet another "poor me, look at what those, meaning all cops are nasty, dangerous people."

When stopped by a law officers, comply and maintain your cool until you are cleared to go or arrested for probable cause.

DCI