What "criminologists" don’t say, and why
2017-09-06 00:55:51 UTC
Here is an interesting and informative article about social justice dogma
and the criminal justice system. It is long on reason and facts, and short
on appeals to emotion.

1) Progressive Left policies on crime (such as those embraced by Black Lives
Matter and most all Democrats) are based on a social justice hypothesis that
crime is a result of income disparity and racism.

2) There is no real-world evidence to support this hypothesis; it is based
entirely on social justice dogma.

3) There is ample real-world evidence the criminals are defined by a
predatory pathology. That they are driven by a desire to self-gratify (often
through violence) and have no regard for their victims. These traits are
very often inter-generational.

4) The left’s misguided insistence on treating criminal behavior as an issue
of racism and social inequality has led to billions of dollars being
squandered, and countless lives destroyed through the violence of criminals
who should have been locked up (or put down) but weren’t because
progressives believe that putting criminals in jail is mean and unfair.

Monopolized by the Left, academic research on crime gets almost everything
wrong.

Long read but worth it: http://tinyurl.com/y768mr9x
Charles H. Sampson
2017-09-06 03:18:17 UTC
Post by Byker
[...]
Went one step to far. I was interested right up to "... believe that
putting criminals in jail is mean and unfair." With that, you departed
from defensible positions and entered rantville.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own. You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for. You hired workers we
But take a hunk and pay it forward. Elizabeth Warren (paraphrased)
Byker
2017-09-06 14:49:15 UTC
Post by Charles H. Sampson
Post by Byker
4) The left's misguided insistence on treating criminal behavior as an
issue of racism and social inequality has led to billions of dollars
being squandered, and countless lives destroyed through the violence of
criminals who should have been locked up (or put down) but weren't
because progressives believe that putting criminals in jail is mean and
unfair.
Monopolized by the Left, academic research on crime gets almost
everything wrong.
Long read but worth it: http://tinyurl.com/y768mr9x
Went one step to far. I was interested right up to "... believe that
putting criminals in jail is mean and unfair." With that, you departed
from defensible positions and entered rantville.
Being a single sentence, "Monopolized by the Left, academic research on
crime gets almost everything wrong" isn't much of a rant...
Charles H. Sampson
2017-09-07 03:11:53 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by Charles H. Sampson
Post by Byker
4) The left's misguided insistence on treating criminal behavior as an
issue of racism and social inequality has led to billions of dollars
being squandered, and countless lives destroyed through the violence of
criminals who should have been locked up (or put down) but weren't
because progressives believe that putting criminals in jail is mean and
unfair.
Monopolized by the Left, academic research on crime gets almost
everything wrong.
Long read but worth it: http://tinyurl.com/y768mr9x
Went one step to far. I was interested right up to "... believe that
putting criminals in jail is mean and unfair." With that, you departed
from defensible positions and entered rantville.
Being a single sentence, "Monopolized by the Left, academic research on
crime gets almost everything wrong" isn't much of a rant...
I'm having a hard time with your logic here. I quote what I think turns
your whole post into a rant. You quote a single different sentence and
say it isn't a rant. ?

Charlie
Byker
2017-09-07 14:35:13 UTC
You quote a single different sentence and say it isn't a rant. ?
Rants have some length to them...
Charles H. Sampson
2017-09-08 12:08:48 UTC
Post by Byker
You quote a single different sentence and say it isn't a rant. ?
Rants have some length to them...
So, by this definition, it isn't a rant.

Charlie
Charles H. Sampson
2017-09-08 12:22:49 UTC
Post by Byker
You quote a single different sentence and say it isn't a rant. ?
Rants have some length to them...
So by that definition your single sentence isn't a rant. But I was
calling the entire post a rant. It started out reasonably, if arguable,
but it was given away as a rant by a single phrase. The phrase itself
wasn't the rant, the entire post was.

Charlie
DCI
2017-09-07 18:17:50 UTC
Post by Charles H. Sampson
Post by Byker
Post by Charles H. Sampson
Post by Byker
[...]
Crime and criminal behaviors are learned, not inherent in individuals or groups.

DCI
Byker
2017-09-07 23:48:52 UTC
-- Will Rogters (sic)
"America has the best politicians money can buy", heh, heh...