Confederate flag can't be removed from lawn of ice cream shop, despite owner's wishes
Add Reply
So Move Moron
2017-08-10 11:08:10 UTC
A South Carolina restaurant owner says he cannot remove the
Confederate flag that flies over his establishment, even though
he desperately wants to.

Tommy Daras, who owns Edisto River Creamery ice cream shop in
Orangeburg, S.C., wants to remove the flag in a town that is
more than 75 percent African American, but claims he cannot
because the property's former owner sold the land surrounding
the flagpole to a Confederate Veterans rights group who refuses
to remove it, according to Fox 8.

"That flag needs to be moved and if there's any possible way
that I can do it, it's going to be done,” Daras said. “Right
now, we're gridlocked."

Darras bought the establishment in 2015 from the family of
Maurice Bessinger’s family, a politician and restaurateur who
owned Maurice's Piggie Park, a barbecue restaurant chain.

During his life, Bessinger was critical of the Civil Rights Act
and called Brown v. Board of Education — the 1954 Supreme Court
case that ended race-based segregation in American public and
private schools — a “really bad” decision.

“I raised the flag out here on the flagpole to protest the
taking down of our heritage flag,” Bessinger said in 2000.

Bessinger died in 2014, but wrote that the flags that fly
outside of his establishments “will stay."

"I will fight on because this is what God wants me to do,” he
added.

Before his death, Bessinger sold the small section of land that
surrounds the flagpole to the Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp
842.

“And we’ve been trying ever since to … honor the Confederate
soldier,” Buzz Braxton, commander and member of the group, said.
“He put it in the hands of people that he trusted because he
loved his Confederate ancestors and his Confederate history just
like we do. So, there was nothing sinister.”

However, Daras said the flag needs to be removed, especially
following a 2015 mass shooting in which a young white man,
Dylann Roof, opened fire and killed nine black parishioners
inside the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, a
historically black church in Charleston, S.C. (Pictures found
after the assault showed Roof posing with the Confederate flag.)

“From that day forward, all hell broke loose for me,” Daras
said. “My windows were broken out, my phone was ringing off the
hook, my employees were harassed. I was fist-fighting with
people in the parking lot. Everyone in town assumed it was my
property because it looks like it’s attached to this building.”

The Sons of Confederate Veterans said there is no way they will
remove the flag.

Daras’ attorney, however, said there is a conflict regarding who
actually owns the land with the flag pole; the attorney says
Daras’ land deal records exhibit no exception for the property
that the association bought from Bessinger years before.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/06/26/south-carolina-
business-owner-cant-remove-confederate-flag-near-his-
restaurant.html

#BeamMeUpScotty
2017-08-10 14:39:03 UTC
Post by So Move Moron
[...]
Pictures showed Dylann Roof burning an American flag, does that mean we
need to also ban the burning of American flags and anyone that does burn
an American flag is on the side of Dylann Roof....?

Stupid is infinite and these Democrats are trying to prove that theory
everyday.
--
That's Karma